Rosemary is a symbol of friendship, loyalty, and remembrance, which makes it a very special gift for a friend, especially those close to your heart.
- A cupful of fresh rosemary leaves.
- A cupful of good quality olive oil.
- A sterilized wide mouth jar. About 500ml volume.
How to make it:
- Let the fresh rosemary leaves wilt slightly and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Put the leaves in the sterilized wide mouth jar and cover them with the oil.
- Seal the jar and put it on a well-lit windowsill or near a warm stove. Avoid a position that gets too hot or else the herbs will turn musty and start to 'cook'.
- Shake the jar or stir the contents with a wooden spoon at least once a day. Within a fortnight the oil should be ready.
- Taste the oil and if the flavour is not strong enough repeat the process with fresh herbs.
- If the flavour is strong enough you can strain the oil though an oil filter and press the herbs to extract all the liquid.
- Pour in a sterilized bottle, seal, label and decorate.
Keep refrigerated. It should keep well for up to 3 months.